Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Another Hospital Stay..

Super Bulldog Weekend just wasn't that super for us! Saturday night I went back and forth trying to decide if I wanted to get dressed and take Drew up to the ER...this was almost midnight. Something just wasn't right and after talking with my SIL, Misty, and two great nursery nurses I decided to brave the possible drunk filled ER.

Dr. Shaw (hope I'm spelling right) was wonderful!!! He saw us walk in with Drew's portable oxygen and didn't even wait for his chart. He walked right in and began asking questions. He monitored him a few hours, ran some blood work (which was pretty good), and did an x-ray. The x-ray showed Drew still had pneumonia!! Now..we had just been to the Pediatric Clinic Friday bc Drew cried for 3 hours!!! And for those that have ever stuck him with a needle you know Drew just doesn't cry over anything. His right ear was pretty nasty but at the time the dr (not my favorite Dr. Ruff) said his chest sounded great. Dr. Shaw said you really couldn't see any difference btwn Drew's March 25 x-ray (when sent to Jackson) and the one Sunday morning...Dr. Shirley was on call over the weekend and she agreed with Shaw and thought he should be admitted. So, here were are. We've had 3 Rocephine (spell?) shots and will receive one more tomorrow and go home with antibiotics.

I really need to brag on the Respiratory Therapist here. In my personal opinion they have gone over and above what anyone else has ever done. A lady named Rite Sheffield really took time to go over some things I could do at home, she showed me better ways to position his O2 probe to get the best reading I could probably get, gave me some tips, and left me feeling so much more confident and what I'm doing with Drew at home. I really feel that God sent her in our room on Monday...I needed her that day. I have now purchased my own stethoscope and learning to listen and know when there's a normal rattle and when there really may be something going on.

Our Pediatricians are working to get us into Le Bonheur in Memphis or into UAB. I've asked to see a Pediatric Pulmonologist and one of these places bc it's taken us so long to get into University and even though I really like the Pulmonologist there, he is only working on Friday's and helping out until their new doctors come on sometime in May. Which means I would have to start all over! So, Alan and I are really ready for a PLAN for Drew and ready to take steps to get him off this oxygen...we've been ready! I think we're heading in the right direction. I know we are!!

Alan's Grandpa Frazier is a Preacher...he came in Sunday and prayed with us. Before leaving he said, "Michelle, you mark my word. From this day forward Drew is going to get better. There's going to be no going back". And if you heard him and Grandma Frazier pray you would have no doubt knowing he was right!!!

The Lord has been so wonderful to us. I know I don't stop and thank him as often as I should, but I'm so thankful. He has given Alan and I 4 wonderful children. Not only that, he has given us the family support from our Mother's and Step Mother that we really need. Alan's Dad and my Daddy help too, but I'm telling you..without Mom, Gina, and Jackie we just couldn't do it. I've been emotionally wore out lately and they've really each supported me in different ways and have helped build me back up..thank you for that.

Also, I would like to thank the person who has anonymously donated leave to me. That support means so much for my family. Tammye, the same for you. I'm not sure you know what a gift this is for my family at this time. That is something very personal you donated and Alan and I really are grateful.

Just a few more things....Hannah, Hollise, and Houston are learning all sorts of new words!! Caterpillar is a favorite lately. It's a lot of work, but having them all at home is been really a joy. I'm getting to know so much more about their personality and it really is so much fun. There is a blog I follow Teach Your Tot that I take tips from to work with the kids. They give all sorts of neat projects, songs to sing, books to read, it's just awesome. Check it out.

Congrats to Brandon and Anna..having a new baby at home is going to be lots of fun!

And finally...I'm so excited about our new NEPHEW on the way!!! Lee and Lauren are having a boy!! Corbin Lee Tehan...I can't wait to meet him!!

1 comment:

ski said...

Time to make "Hungry Caterpillar"s!! You can even make a caterpillar cake or sandwiches!! Oh I love thier age! I want to come play with them and learn about caterpillars!! Just dont tell them Mike squashed a really ugly one the other night!!

Thanks for the update on Drew. You are doing an AMAZING job!! Remember you are Drews BEST advocate and dont be scared to go for what HE needs. If you need me call me! I'll check on y'all Friday.